Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Singular Cake - Mk II

Most of us occasionally enjoy a spot of schadenfreude (a positive reaction to someone else's misfortune) if we are honest, but there is also its counterpart, freudenschade (a negative reaction to another's good fortune), which in its Germanic way is oddly a very British concept.

But which of these really applies to George Monbiot's article in today's Guardian? I did smile  so I'm going for the former...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/24/extreme-wealth-super-rich-devon-society-planet#comments

Living close to the Devon coast myself, I have also seen the yachts and superyachts come and go, and the overt displays of wealth and privilege at the private boat clubs, bars and country clubs. But I don't envy them OR feel pleased if their existence is less than perfect. 

I'm comfortable in my own existence.

But I do wonder about how to reach across the divide and talk about sustainability, and the mantra of Singular Cake to those whose only measure of success has been EXCESS.

It's as though we need a new arena for discussions - how to live collaboratively in a post-colonial world, how to scale back on over-indulgence, how to promote projects that benefit the planet AND provide joy and fun for human beings.

All I can say is that there is a certain pleasure that comes from living within your means. Taking what you need, and no more. Enjoying the simplicity. Instead of proving you are successful, or looking for outward approval, just BE successful - on your own terms. It's freeing.


#singularcake #sustainability #onlywhatyouneed #agoodexistence #georgemonbiot #guardian


No comments: